Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wurlitzer Carillon and AMI J

Work is progressing on the Carillon and AMI.  They are both big projects but I keep nibbling away at them between callout repairs and other faults on machines that come in for repairs. The cashbox side of the Carillion was a challenge. I couldn't get the coin reject lever off no matter how I tried. So eventually I cut the veneer with a hole in it to fit over the lever and then applied the veneer to the box with the lever still in place. Given that I used Evostick and it is a One Shot process, it certainly concentrates the mind for a few seconds!
Anyway it turned out nicely along with the front grill piece which I rebuilt with new slats across the front, veneered in the same wood as the sides.
So all I need now is the amp, so I can get the machine  up and running, and the front metal pieces so I can reassemble the front of the jukebox.
The AMI J is also coming along. I made a new wiring loom for the lighting circuit (AMI mains wiring is notorious for rotting) and put back as many parts as I can before the chrome comes back. I need to concentrate on the actual mechanism now before the chrome comes back.


Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Carillon and Ami J

The Carillon has now two sides with new wood veneer. The third side with the cashbox and reject button is slightly more tricky but it will look great when it is done.  A new front glass has been designed and is on order but can't be assembled until the chrome parts come back.
The Ami J chassis took a bit of head scratching trying to get a nice finish. No matter what I did it came out mottled, until I swapped paint brands and it came up with a brilliant high gloss finish.
Now I can put some of the wiring and metalwork back and make a bit of room.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Wurlitzer Carillon continued.

So after a great deal of grinding, undercoating, spraying and muttering under my breath I finally got the mechanism back together. The problem with taking this thing apart is making sure everything is in the right position so, one day, it will all work again. The gripper arm is a science all its own.
Next, dismantle and service the selector drum. Nice and easy. I've done dozens of these and this one is all complete and not in bad shape.