Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wurlitzer 1100

I finally got the gear assembly back in place and the whole mechanism in the box. But the gearing is the least of my problems. Because it was adapted to 45 rpm the tone arm settings are completely wrong and there seems to have been some creative adjusting taken place to allow it to play 45s in the first place.  I now have to work out what is missing and what was never the way it is now.
The W1100 must have been a wonderful machine when it was new and all tuned up. The mechanism is as robust as a steam engine and about as dangerous if you get your fingers in amongst it all.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Wurlitzer Lyric F almost done.

Painted the base plate. Dismantled and serviced the selector drum and keyboard. Grill and speakers painted and then the whole thing reassembled with the fully serviced amp. Just need to make a cashbox door and give it a full test and it is done.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Wurlitzer Lyric F

The arch is now all cleaned up and fitted with a new cartridge.  The cabinet is clean and painted and the carousel has been dismantled and cleaned.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Wurlitzer Lyric F

I am doing a full refurbishment of a Wurlitzer Lyic F.  I have done three of these in the last few months so it is quite relaxing.  It is all in one piece and doesn't need rechroming so it is just a case of stripping everything down and make it it clean, repainting it and servicing the various mechanical parts, selector drum, keyboard etc.
It looks a bit mildewy and full of muck but they all do when I get them so that doesn't bother me at all. When you see the end result you will see how nicely it comes out. So first thing to do is break it down.  The arch comes off...

And the carousel. 

That'll keep me quiet for a day or so.

Projects on the go. Wurlitzer 1100 and Tempo I

This week I will mostly be doing.....the restoration of a Wurlitzer Lyric F...but I also have on the go a refurb of a Rock-Ola Tempo 1 and a Wurlitzer 1100.

This is the mechanism from a W1100. I had to remove the gear set because the customer wants it converting back from 45rpm to 78 rpm. It is an absolute dog to get out like some sort of Chinese puzzle.  It will be 'fun' trying to get it back in again.
The gear on the right is the main drive and the one on the left is the turntable drive, so to make the turntable go at 78 rpm instead of 45 rpm that left gear needs changing. Unfortunately in order to do that you need to get the pin out of the righthand gear and it has decided that it is definitely not going to move for anyone. I have had to take it to an engineering company who can get the pin out without damaging the gears or the casting (I hope!).

I have also been putting together a Rock-Ola Tempo I and servicing the various parts as I go.  The selector drum needed taking apart, then each pin needs to be cleaned individually and the whole thing put back together and thoroughly testing.  It can take about 8 hours and even more if one selection wont work and it all needs taking apart again.

The Tempo I is on hold as the amplifier decided to go into nuclear meltdown and had to go away for repair.

Welcome to my new blog

Welcome to The Jukebox Doctor's new blog.  It might take me some time to get the hang of all the whistles and bells, putting photos up and such, but I'll see what I can do.
I repair and restore vintage jukeboxes made by Wurlitzer and Rock-Ola from about 1954 upwards. I also have a lot of experience of the Wurlitzer One More Time jukebox which is still being made today.

I will do callout repairs if they are within 50 miles

I also buy and sell jukeboxes so if you fancy a nice starter box then check my website http://www.jukebox-repairs.co.uk/